Peter Yarrow of Peter Paul and Mary LOVES activists and he loves Peaceful Uprising. Peter is throwing us a concert to help us raise funds and keep up our organizing.
You’ve probably heard of the folk group Peter, Paul and Mary. You’ve almost certainly heard the song “Puff the Magic Dragon”, and maybe even “Light One Candle”. But Peter’s contribution to society doesn’t end in the 60’s with a few songs. Not by a longshot. Here’s a sample of the real Peter Yarrow: a social justice activist / musician / organizer with more energy than an entire college environmental club and enough street cred to make Bono blush:
[spoiler title=”10 reasons why Peter Yarrow is the most legit rockstar activist on the planet. “]
- Peter, Paul and Mary (PP&M) released their first album in 1962, which stayed in the Top Ten for 10 months, in the Top Twenty for two years, and eventually went double-platinum.
- In 1963, PP&M marched with Dr. Martin Luther King in Selma, Alabama and Washington, D.C.,
- PP&M participated in countless demonstrations against the war in Vietnam, earning them continuous death threats. Even so, they never cancelled their gigs.
- Peter was a key organizer of the historic 1969 March on Washington.
- PP&M sang from the podium right before MLK gave his “I Have A Dream” speech.
- In the 1960’s Peter produced and coordinated events that raised funds for anti-war political candidates and featured musicians such as Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Paul Simon, Miles Davis, Creedence Clearwater Revival, and more.
- In 2000, Peter founded Operation Respect, a nonprofit designed to promote civility and conflict resolution into the curriculum of U.S. schools on a nationwide basis. More than 145,000 copies of the curriculum have been distributed to educators so far.
- In 2003, a Congressional resolution recognized Yarrow’s achievements and the achievements of Operation Respect. The Congressional Caucus gave him a standing ovation.
- In October 2011, Peter, along with his son and daughter, played and sang for hours with the demonstrators at Occupy Wall Street.
- On the eve of Tim’s Trial, Peter & his daughter Bethany held a vigil along with Tim’s community at the Unitarian Church in Salt Lake. You can listen to and download the high-definition recording on our music site.
Most importantly, after 50 years, he still puts on a hell of a show, and you have a chance to be part of it on May 14th.
RSVP for Monday, May 14 6-9pm at The State Room with a donation of $60 or more.
[spoiler title=”Can’t afford $60? There are other options for students & activists “]
- Student price: $30 (student ID checked at door)
- Get free entrance if you arrange for 3 people to RSVP. Send the names of your contacts to email@example.com so we can confirm their purchase and reserve your free ticket.
This is one night only for a SMALL, PRIVATE CONCERT. Peter will be singing some of his old favorites and doing some impressions.
All money raised goes to benefit Peaceful Uprising. Peace Up is badly in need of support right now and any support you can lend would be greatly appreciated.
Peter is best known for his song “Puff the Magic Dragon.” He was a staple at Vietnam protests and is still very involved in many social justice issues.
***Buy your tickets in advance. There are a LIMITED number of seats.***
Bring your checkbooks and bring your cameras. There will be items for auction and you will have the chance to meet Peter in person!
[spoiler title=”List of Silent Auction Items”]
- 20×40 Framed Print from photographer Tom Till – tomtill.com
- $100 gift certificate to Faustina Restaurant – faustinaslc.com
- Assorted wonderful items from Ken Sanders Books – kensandersbooks.com
- Power Dream CD Collection by Denise Lynch – deniselynch.com
- 1 hour Massage from Kristine Detton – divinemassagespa.com
- Assorted DVDs & Bidder 70 posters from George & Beth Gage (NOT Bidder 70 DVDs) – gageandgageproductions.com
- 2 Memberships to the Salt Lake Film Society – saltlakefilmsociety.org
- 4 Festival Passes to the Moab Folk Festival – moabfolkfestival.com
- 1 hour musical performance by Otter Creek
- Assorted items from Patagonia